Marek's Disease Vaccine
Serotype 1, Live Virus
For the vaccination of chickens one day-of-age by subcutaneous injection or to 18-day-old embryonated eggs via in ovo to aid in the prevention of very virulent Marek's disease.
RISMAVAC® vaccine is a low-passage, frozen live, cell-associated Marek’s disease vaccine for use in 18-day chicken embryos or day-of-age chickens. Its rapid early replication provides optimum protection against early, very virulent Marek’s disease challenge. It is approved for day of age or in ovo injection.
RISMAVAC® vaccine is indicated for the vaccination of chickens one day of age or in ovo to aid in the prevention of clinical signs of Marek’s disease, especially flocks exposed to a heavy or very virulent Marek’s disease challenge.
Administration and Dosage
The vaccine should be thawed immediately before use. Care should be taken to mix all of the vaccine from the ampule into the diluent for maximum efficacy. Once mixed with diluent, the vaccine should be swirled frequently, every 5 minutes, to maintain uniform distribution. When vaccinating day-old chicks, inject 0.2 ml subcutaneously using an automatic vaccinator and sterile syringe. Insert the needle directed away from the head. Avoid injecting the neck muscles or bones. In ovo vaccination of 18-day embryonated eggs should follow the instructions provided by the in ovo vaccination equipment manufacturer.
The best protection is obtained when the vaccinated chickens have time to develop immunity prior to exposure to Marek’s disease virus. Good management practices are recommended to reduce the exposure to this virus for at least 3 weeks following vaccination.
1. Refer to the package insert for specific directions.
2. Vaccine should be stored in liquid nitrogen at a temperature below –150oC.
3. Gloves and visor should be worn when handling liquid nitrogen.
4. Once thawed, the product should not be re-frozen.
5. Do not dilute the vaccine or otherwise stretch the dosage of the vaccine.
6. Once mixed with diluent, the vaccine should be used within one hour and unused vaccine should be discarded into disinfectant or burned.
7. Do not vaccinate chickens within 21 days of slaughter.
Product Label(s) and MSDS
For more information about Merck Animal Health Products call 1-800-441-8272.