Administering Vetsulin With VetPen®
VetPen administration video
Feed your dog twice daily, just before each insulin dose.
Preparing the VetPen for use
1. Remove cap.
2. Unscrew body from cartridge holder.
3a. Ensure plunger is retracted.
If not, 3b. Rewind plunger.
4. Insert cartridge after shaking thoroughly.
5. Screw cartridge holder and body together gently but firmly.
6a.Peel off protective film and screw new needle onto cartridge holder.
6b. Remove outer protective needle cap.
Priming the VetPen for use
1. Replace the pen cap, then shake the pen until a homogenous, uniformly milky suspension is obtained.
2.Dial 3 IU on the dose selector. Remove both the cap and the inner protective needle sheath.
3. Hold the pen with the needle pointing upwards.
4. Tap the cartridge gently with your finger a few times to push any air bubbles to the top.
5. (not shown) Push down the release button and hold until the arrow on the body returns to the starting line on the dose selector.
- Continue subsequent priming by dialing 1 IU on the dose selector and repeating Steps 2 - 5 until all air is removed from the cartridge.
- To verify the air is removed, hold the pen horizontally and inspect cartridge through the cartridge window.
Repeat steps 2 to 5 until you no longer see any air in the cartridge window and insulin comes out of the needle.
Getting ready to inject
After the pen has been primed for use:
- Make sure the arrow on the body points to the starting line on the dose selector.
- Turn the dial to select the prescribed number of International Units (IU).
- Insert the needle subcutaneously.
- Hold the release button down until the dose selector has returned to the starting line.
- Wait at least 5 seconds after the dose selector returns to starting line before removing needle.
Important Safety Information
Vetsulin should not be used in dogs or cats known to have a systemic allergy to pork or pork products. Vetsulin is contraindicated during periods of hypoglycemia. Keep out of reach of children. As with all insulin products, careful patient monitoring for hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia is essential to attain and maintain adequate glycemic control and prevent associated complications. Overdosage can result in profound hypoglycemia and death. The safety and effectiveness of Vetsulin in puppies and kittens, breeding, pregnant, and lactating dogs and cats has not been evaluated. See package insert for full information regarding contraindications, warnings, and precautions.
User Safety Warning
For use in animals only. Keep out of the reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes. In case of contact, immediately flush eyes with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Accidental injection may cause clinical hypoglycemia. In case of accidental injection, seek medical attention immediately. Exposure to the product may induce a local or systemic allergic reaction in sensitized individuals.