SAFE-GUARD® POWER-DOSE® (FENBENDAZOLE) IS INDICATED FOR THE CONTROL OF:
- EL3 - encysted (hypobiotic) early third stage small strongyle (cyathostome) larvae
- LL3/L4 - encysted late third stage and fourth stage mucosal cyathostome larvae
- Small strongyles (cyathostomes)
- Large strongyles (Strongylus edentatus, S. equinus, S. vulgaris)
- 4th stage S. vulgaris larvae
- Ascarids (Parascaris equorum)
- Pinworms (Oxyuris equi)
- Safe-Guard® POWER-Dose® (5 x 57 gram syringes) offers a complete course of treatment for a 1250 lb horse.
- Convenient, oral administration.
- Unique artificial apple-cinnamon flavor.
Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% contains the active anthelmintic, fenbendazole. The chemical name of fenbendazole is methyl 5-(phenylthio)-2-benzimidazole carbamate.
Each gram of Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% contains 100 mg of fenbendazole and is flavored with artificial apple-cinnamon liquid.
- Safe-Guard® POWER-Dose® has a high degree of efficacy against all stages of encysted (hypobiotic) small strongyles.
- Only approved method of larvicidal treatment for encysted EL3’s and L3/L4’s.
- 98% effective in killing hypobiotic encysted EL3’s.
- 96% effective against L3/L4’s.
- Highly effective against the predominant internal parasites of horses: large strongyles, small strongyles (encysted early third stage cyathostomes), late third stage and fourth stage mucosal cyathostome larvae, pinworms, ascarids and arteritis caused by fourth stage larvae of strongylus vulgaris in horses.
- Use in all newly arrived horses and then once or twice per year.
- CONTRAINDICATIONS: There are no known contraindications for the use of Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% in horses.
- PRECAUTIONS: Side effects associated with Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% could not be established in well-controlled safety studies in horses with single doses as high as 454 mg/lb (1000 mg/kg) and 15 consecutive daily doses of 22.7 mg/lb (50 mg/kg). Particularly with higher doses, the lethal action of fenbendazole may cause the release of antigens by the dying parasites. This phenomenon may result in either a local or systemic hypersensitive reaction. As with any drug, these reactions should be treated symptomatically.
Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% has been evaluated for safety in pregnant mares during all stages of gestation with doses as high as 11.4 mg/lb (25 mg/kg) and in stallions with doses as high as 11.4 mg/lb (25 mg/kg). No adverse effects on reproductivity were detected. The recommended dose for control of 4th stage larvae of Strongylus vulgaris, 4.6 mg/lb (10 mg/kg) daily for 5 consecutive days, has not been evaluated for safety in stallions or pregnant mares.
Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% is indicated for the control of large strongyles (Strongylus edentatus, S. equinus, S. vulgaris), encysted early third stage (hypobiotic), late third stage and fourth stage cyathostome larvae, small strongyles, pinworms (Oxyuris equi), ascarids (Parascaris equorum), and arteritis caused by fourth stage larvae of Strongylus vulgaris in horses.
Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% is approved for use concomitantly with an approved form of trichlorfon. Trichlorfon is approved for the treatment of stomach bots (Gasterophilus spp.) in horses. Refer to the manufacturer’s label for directions for use and cautions for trichlorfon.
CONSULT YOUR VETERINARIAN FOR ASSISTANCE IN THE DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT AND CONTROL OF PARASITISM.
Administration and Dosage
Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% is administered orally at a rate of 2.3 mg/lb (5 mg/kg) for the control of large strongyles, small strongyles, and pinworms. One syringe will deworm two 1,250 lb horses. For foals and weanlings (less than 18 months of age) where ascarids are a common problem, the recommended dose is 4.6 mg/lb (10 mg/kg); one syringe will deworm one 1,250 lb horse.
For control of encysted early third stage (hypobiotic), late third stage and fourth stage cyathostome larvae, and fourth stage larvae of Strongylus vulgaris, the recommended dose is 4.6 mg/lb (10 mg/kg) for 5 consecutive days; administer one syringe for each 1,250 lbs of body weight per day.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
- Determine the weight of the horse.
- Remove syringe tip.
- Turn the dial ring until the edge of the ring nearest the tip lines up with zero.
- Depress plunger to advance paste to tip.
- Now set the dial ring at the graduation nearest the weight of the horse (do not underdose).
- Horse’s mouth must be free of food.
- Insert nozzle of syringe through the interdental space and deposit the paste on the back of the tongue by depressing the plunger.
CAUTION:Keep this and all medications out of the reach of children.
When using Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% concomitantly with trichlorfon, refer to the manufacturer’s labels for use and cautions for trichlorfon.
WARNING: Do not use in horses intended for human consumption.
Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% Equine Dewormer is supplied in 57 gram, 5 per carton, syringes. Store at or below 25°C (75°F).
Manufactured by: DPT Laboratories, San Antonio, TX 78215
Distributed by: Intervet, Inc., Millsboro, DE 19966
NADA # 120-648, Approved by FDA
For use in animals only.
NAC No.: 11063361
Product Label(s) and MSDS