The Science of Safe
THE SCIENCE OF SAFE
Different mode of action is what makes SAFE-GUARD® (fenbendazole) so effective against the most dangerous parasites of the horse.
- Works on a wide variety of parasites – Labeled for the control of large and small strongyles (including migrating larvae), pinworms and ascarids (roundworms)
- High degree of safety – Safe for foals, pregnant mares and older horses1
- Easy to administer – A unique apple-cinnamon flavor that horses readily accept1
- The Mode of Action of SAFE-GUARD (fenbendazole) Paste 10% is due to the inhibition of energy metabolism in the parasite2
- Available in two sizes: 25 gram and 92 gram
SAFE-GUARD (fenbendazole) Paste 10% is indicated for the control of large strongyles (Strongylus edentatus, S. equinus, S. vulgaris), encysted early third stage (hypobiotic), late third stage and fourth stage cyathostome larvae, small strongyles, pinworms (Oxyuris equi), ascarids (Parascaris equorum), and arteritis caused by fourth stage larvae of Strongylus vulgaris in horses.
SAFE-GUARD (fenbendazole) Paste 10% is administered orally at a rate of 2.3 mg/lb (5 mg/kg) for the control of large strongyles, small strongyles, and pinworms. One 25 gram syringe will deworm a 1,100 lb horse. For foals and weanlings (less than 18 months of age) where ascarids are a common problem, the recommended dose is 4.6 mg/lb (10 mg/kg); one 25 gram syringe will deworm a 550 lb horse.
For control of encysted early third stage (hypobiotic), late third stage and fourth stage cyathostome larvae, and fourth stage larvae of Strongylus vulgaris, the recommended dose is 4.6 mg/lb (10 mg/kg) daily for 5 consecutive days; administer one 25 gram syringe for each 550 lbs body weight per day.
Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment and control of parasitism.
Important Safety Information
Do not use in horses intended for human consumption. When using SAFE-GUARD (fenbendazole) Paste 10% concomitantly with trichlorfon, refer to the manufacturer’s labels for use and cautions for trichlorfon.
Keep your clinic up-to-date on the Merck Animal Health line of equine products.
A guide to the entire equine product line from Merck Animal Health.
Understanding genetic characterization of recent equine influenza outbreaks to assess relevance of vaccine influenza strains.
Learn more about PRESTIGE flu-containing vaccines.
No items to show.
1. SAFE-GUARD® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% equine dewormer product label. 2. Lacey E. Mode of Action of Benzimidazoles. Parasitology Today, vol. 6, no. 4, 1990.