Posatex (Mometasone Furoate, Orbifloxacin, and Posaconazole) is an otic suspension indicated for the treatment of otitis externa in dogs associated with susceptible strains of yeast and bacteria.
(mometasone furoate, orbifloxacin, posaconazole)
1.0% Orbifloxacin, 0.1% Mometasone Furoate Monohydrate and 0.1% Posaconazole, Otic Suspension
Each gram of Posatex Otic Suspension contains 10 mg of orbifloxacin; mometasone furoate monohydrate equivalent to 1 mg mometasone furoate; and 1 mg of posaconazole in a mineral oil based system containing a plasticized hydrocarbon gel.
Posatex Otic Suspension is indicated for the treatment of otitis externa in dogs associated with susceptible strains of yeast (Malassezia pachydermatis) and bacteria (coagulase positive staphylococci, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Enterococcus faecalis).
Features and Benefits
- Broad spectrum triazole antifungal
- Particularly effective against Malassezia pachydermatis
- More potent than other veterinary antifungals3
- Broad spectrum antibiotic
- Proven efficacy against bacteria associated with canine otitis externa including Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- High local concentrations minimize risk of microbial resistance
Mometasone Furoate Monohydrate
- Potent, yet safe anti-inflammatory agent
- Good margin of adrenal safety4
- No adrenocortical suppression at 3 times recommended dose for 21 days.1,2
Once daily for seven days
Helps ensure pet owner compliance
Administration and Dosage
Administer once daily for 7 days
4 drops per ear for dogs < 30 lbs
8 drops per ear for dogs = or > 30 lbs
Posatex Otic Suspension is available in 7.5 g, 15 g, and 30 g plastic bottles.
POSATEX Otic Suspension is contraindicated in dogs with known or suspected hypersensitivity to quinolones, mometasone furoate monohydrate, or posaconazole.
Do not use in dogs with known tympanic perforation. The safe use in dogs used for breeding purposes, during pregnancy or in lactating bitches, has not been evaluated.
For additional information, please see the product label.
- Data on file, Merck Animal Health.
- Freedom of Information Summary. Original New Animal Drug Application (NADA 141-266). Posatex Otic Suspension. Madison, NJ: Intervet Inc. Feb. 18, 2010.
- Bourdeau P, Marchand AM, Etoré F. In vitro activity of posaconazole and other antifungals against Malassezia pachydermatis isolated from dogs. Poster presented at: 5th World Congress of Veterinary Dermatology; August 25-28, 2004: Vienna, Austria. Poster P-17.
- Reeder CJ; Griffin CE; Polissar NL; Neradilek B; Armstrong RD, Comparative adrenocortical suppression in dogs with otitis externa following topical Otic administration of four different glucocorticoid containing medications . Veterinary Therapeutics, Vol. 9 No 2 Summer 2008.