Bryant Craig, DVM
Dr. Bryant Craig has cared for some of the Quarter Horse racing industry’s top horses during his veterinary career. Prior to joining Merck Animal Health, Dr. Craig owned and operated a private equine veterinary practice for six years in central Oklahoma before joining a top Quarter Horse ranch as resident veterinarian in 2005.
While there, Dr. Craig oversaw an average of 1,000 breedings per year, including 400 embryo transfers, foaled out 300 mares and cared for some of the Quarter Horse racing industry’s premier stallions, including an all-time leading living sire. In addition to the ranch’s reproductive services, Dr. Craig also oversaw the health, fitness and nutrition program for the ranch’s sales horse operation.
“All the things our team does for the industry outside of our jobs is a testament to our passion not only for helping horses but helping people. It’s just who we are.”
Dr. Craig received his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from Oklahoma State University. He joined the Merck Animal Health Equine Veterinary Professional Services team in 2013. Outside of his equine interests, Dr. Craig enjoys skiing and fishing with his sons.
Dr. Craig has worked on several published research articles, including:
- “Voluntary Biosurveillance of Streptococcus equi Subsp. equi in Nasal Secretions of 9409 Equids with Upper Airway Infection in the USA.” (Vet Sci. 2023)
- “Voluntary Surveillance Program for Equine Influenza Virus in the United States during 2008–2021.” (Pathogens 2023)
- “Frequency of Detection and Prevalence Factors Associated with Common Respiratory Pathogens in Equids with Acute Onset of Fever and/or Respiratory Signs (2008-2021)” (Pathogens 2022)
- “Prevalence factors associated with EHV-2/5 among equines with signs of upper respiratory infection in the US” (ACVIM abstract 2017)
Areas of Interest
- Sports Medicine and Lameness
- Herd Health
- Infectious disease